In-School Author & Speaker Program
BMABHK – Meet the Author: Mr. Jimmy Liao 幾米老師
Since 2013, Bring Me a Book has been bringing children’s authors, illustrators and renowned literacy experts to schools in Hong Kong to spread the love of reading.
We feel incredibly indebted to our long-term partners, Bank of America Merill Lynch and Target, for sponsoring the bulk of the authors’ travel costs to HK, which would otherwise be unaffordable for our beneficiaries, including low-income schools and community centers.
For those (private) schools/organizations interested to invite any of the authors or experts form the list below, please contact our Executive Director Pia Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org for details and costs.
Previous author/speaker visits, hosted by BMABHK:
Dr. Madeline Levine
Jon Klassen with Kids and teachers
Yu LiQiong 余麗瓊
Remember: Authors don’t do school visits, schools do author visits. It’s all about preparation and building excitement for the children – by the time the visit day comes around, the kids feel like the author is a rock star.
So make sure their books are read by teachers in classrooms and/or daily facts about the author or his/her books are shared ahead of time. Why not try a message board where kids can write to the author? Or ask your students to share their favourite books here.
Children’s Authors & Illustrators
- ➡ David Wiesner is a three-time Caldecott award winner and one of the best loved and most highly acclaimed picture book creators in the world. US-based David is a visual storyteller, renowned for his wordless books. He will be the keynote speaker at the Feng Zikai Chinese Children’s Picture Book Award in Hefei, China in September and will stop by Hong Kong briefly on this way through. His topic “The Power of Imagination” is suitable for Upper Primary Children (7-10 years old) and above.
Register for David Wiesner’s for Parents & Children on 19 Sept
Register for David Wiesner’s Talk for Principals, Librarians and Educators on 21 Sept
Available: Nov 2-9, 2017 (Check out the NEW award winning titles. Prize Ceremony and Forum, 22-25 September in Hefei, China)
The Feng Zikai Chinese Children’s Picture Book Award was set up by Bring Me a Book Hong Kong with the support of the Chen Yet-Sen Family Foundation in 2008. It is the first international Chinese children’s picture book award with the aim to recognize talented authors and illustrators for their distinguished books and engage children in valuing and reading original Chinese language stories.
- ➡ Chris Haughton, UK based author & Illustrator of “Little Owl Lost”, “Hat Monkey” amongst many others. Interactive presentation including artwork, puppets, confetti and dancing!
Available: 13-15 November, 2017. Please download Chris Haughton’s bio, schedule & costs here
- ➡ David Schwartz, US based author of best-selling books “How Much is a Million?”, “If you Made a Million” amongst many others. David is an “Ambassador for Math”. An accomplished storyteller and an innovator in presenting mathematical information in entertaining ways, he connects math and science with literature and daily life.
Available: March 20-27, 2018 Please download David Schwartz’ bio, schedule & costs here and workshop details here
- ➡ Eric Litwin, US based author of the best-selling Pete the Cat series. The guitar-strumming writer Eric has brought a unique musical approach to early literacy that has helped thousands of kids all over the world, learn to read and love books.
Available: April 23-27, 2018 Please download Eric Litwin’s bio, schedule & costs here
Early Childhood Education & Literacy Experts
- ➡ Julie Fowlkes, reading specialist. With over 45 years of experience in the literacy field, Julie encourages parents to practice a daily reading routine at home and helps to alleviate any worries and fears parents may have with regards to challenges they are facing. She empowers teachers to use great books and fun reading strategies and materials to ensure their students have a very positive connection with books and a joyfully literate classroom.Schools and Institutes Julie Fowlkes has given talks and workshops in the past, include:
- Braemar Hill Nursery
- Canadian International School
- Education University (formerly HKIED)
- HKIED HSBC Early Childhood Learning Centre
- International Montessori School
- Institute of Vocational Education (IVE)
- Law Ting Pong Secondary School
- Mills International
- Po Leung Kuk Choi Kai Yau
- Nicholas English Kindergarten
- St. Stephen’s College Preparatory School
- Victoria Kindergarten
Available: 1-10 December 2017
- Julie Fowlkes, reading specialist who developed Bring Me a Book’s award-wining First Teacher’s Training curriculum.
- Parent & Family Workshops: Download workshop descriptions, fee & availability for school talks
- Teacher Workshops: Download workshop descriptions, fee & availability for school talks
- Suitable for: Parents/Teachers of 0-8 years old
Available: 5-9 March 2018
- Diane Frankenstein, strategic literacy consultant and author of “Reading Together: Everything You Need to Know to Raise a Child Who Loves to Read.”
- Parent Talk: “Conversational Reading: Strengthening communication with our children”
- School Visit
- Suitable for: Parents/Teachers of 5-10 years old
Conversational Reading follows a simple equation: Read a Book, Ask a Question, Start a Conversation. Books help to jump start conversations that are important to children. Topics covered include: self-esteem, bullying, friendship, boasting and being true to yourself.
➡ Throughout the Year: Locally based Authors / Speakers (available upon request).
Specializing in the following topics:
- How to make read aloud powerful, effective and fun
- Using picture books to enhance EQ in children
- Extending arts & crafts around picture books
- Improve your communication with your Child through stories
- English Fear Buster (helping local non-English speaking parents read stories with children)
- Selecting the best books for children
- Volunteer training for reading to kids