In-School Author & Speaker Program
Meet the Author: Mr. Jimmy Liao 幾米老師
Since 2013, Bring Me a Book has been bringing children’s authors, illustrators and renowned literacy experts to schools in Hong Kong to spread the love of reading.
We feel incredibly indebted to our long-term partners, BoAML and Target, for sponsoring the travel and accommodation costs of the author and speaker visits to HK, which would otherwise be unaffordable for our beneficiaries, including low-income schools and community centers.
For those (private) schools/organizations interested to invite any of the authors or experts form the list below, please contact our Executive Director Pia Wong at email@example.com for details and costs.
Dr. Madeline Levine
Jon Klassen with Kids and teachers
Yu LiQiong 余麗瓊
Early Childhood Education & Literacy Experts
- ➡ Julie Fowlkes, reading specialist
Available: 1-10 December 2017
- Julie Fowlkes, reading specialist who developed Bring Me a Book’s award-wining First Teacher’s Training curriculum.
- Parent Workshops include: “Transitional Readers”, “Advancing the Read Aloud Journey”, “Motivating Reluctant Readers”, Beyond the Book”, workshops for Dads and workshops for Grandparents
- Teacher Workshops include: “Best Practices in Literacy Development for Students” (incl. Low Performing Students)
- Family workshops for parents with their child: Book-making: children learn to write and make home-made books incl. pop-up books, ‘quick fold’ ladder books, concertina and shape books.
- Suitable for: Parents/Teachers of 0-6 years old
Available: 5-9 March 2018
- Diane Frankenstein, strategic literacy consultant and author of “Reading Together: Everything You Need to Know to Raise a Child Who Loves to Read.”
- Parent Talk: “Conversational Reading: Strengthening communication with our children”
- Suitable for: Parents/Teachers of 5-10 years old
Conversational Reading follows a simple equation: Read a Book, Ask a Question, Start a Conversation. Books help to jump start conversations that are important to children. Topics covered include: self-esteem, bullying, friendship, boasting and being true to yourself.
➡ Throughout the Year: Locally based Authors / Speakers (available upon request).
Specializing in the following topics:
- How to make read aloud powerful, effective and fun
- Using picture books to enhance EQ in children
- Extending arts & crafts around picture books
- Improve your communication with your Child through stories
- English Fear Buster (helping local non-English speaking parents read stories with children)
- Selecting the best books for children
- Volunteer training for reading to kids
Children’s Authors & Illustrators
- ➡ David Wiesner is a three-time Caldecott award winner and one of the best loved and most highly acclaimed picture book creators in the world. US-based David is a visual storyteller, renowned for his wordless books. He will be the keynote speaker at the Feng Zikai Chinese Children’s Picture Book Award in Hefei, China in September and will stop by Hong Kong briefly on this way through. His topic “The Power of Imagination” is suitable for Upper Primary Children (7-10 years old) and above.
Available: September 19, 2017
Available: Nov 2-9, 2017 (winners to be announced in Aug 2017)
The Feng Zikai Chinese Children’s Picture Book Award was set up by Bring Me a Book Hong Kong with the support of the Chen Yet-Sen Family Foundation in 2008. It is the first international Chinese children’s picture book award with the aim to recognize talented authors and illustrators for their distinguished books and engage children in valuing and reading original Chinese language stories.
- ➡ Chris Houghton, UK based author & Illustrator of “Little Owl Lost”, “Hat Monkey” amongst many others. Interactive presentation including artwork, puppets, confetti and dancing!
Available: Nov 10-15, 2017
- ➡ David Schwartz, US based author of best-selling books “How Much is a Million?”, “If you Made a Million” amongst many others. David is an “Ambassador for Math”. An accomplished storyteller and an innovator in presenting mathematical information in entertaining ways, he connects math and science with literature and daily life.
Available: March 12-16 (except March 15)
- ➡ Eric Litwin, US based author of the best-selling Pete the Cat series. The guitar-strumming writer Eric has brought a unique musical approach to early literacy that has helped thousands of kids all over the world, learn to read and love books.
Available: April 23-27, 2018